If you are filing for an Order of Protection, you are called the “Petitioner.”  The person you are filing the Order of Protection against is called the “Respondent.”

An Order of Protection is a court order that prohibits the Respondent from abusing, molesting, stalking, threatening, communicating with, committing domestic violence or sexual assault against and/or otherwise disturbing the peace of the Petitioner.  An Order of Protection may also include provisions such as: limited communication/contact only in regards to a shared child, financial orders and an order for the Respondent to relinquish firearms, get a substance abuse evaluation and/or attend an intervention program.

A Child Order of Protection can be filed by a parent or guardian if any of the above acts have been committed against a minor child or children.

To file for an Order of Protection in Jackson County, one (or more) of the following must be true:

  1. You reside in Jackson County;
  2. The Respondent can be served with the paperwork in Jackson County; and/or
  3. The abuse/stalking/sexual assault occurred in Jackson County.


Communicating your information to the Court in a secure manner is important to us.

To submit your Order of Protection petition(s) to us, you must first register for a secure account through the State of Missouri’s Courts’ website. Registration is simple and fast.

Please note, that you will receive a confirmation email once you have registered. After you have confirmed your email address, you will be able to submit an email to the Court using an email address we will send you. Make sure to attach the order of protection packet that you have filled out and saved to your computer.

Please enter your email and press submit in the form below. The Court will send you instructions on how to submit the Order of Protection petition.

If you don't receive your email within a few minutes, please check your 'junk' or 'spam' folder.


NOTE FOR ATTORNEYS: You must continue to eFile orders of protection on behalf of your client.


  • First, right-click on either the Adult or Child Order of Protection and save it to your computer.
  • Next, complete the petition. Be sure and fill out all required fields.
  • Once complete, you will then need to save it to your computer by clicking on the highlighted icon below; or click File, then Save from the menu. 


You will need a pdf reader such as Adobe Reader which is free to download and use.  Click the here to download the free reader.


Saving this file to your computer may create a safety risk if others can access the computer or device. Only continue if you believe it is safe to do so.


Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (excluding Holidays), you may submit your petition directly to the Court online by completing the form below. If you are unable to submit the petition online, you may visit either the courthouse in Kansas City or Independence.

If it is an emergency and you need to file outside of the hours listed above, you can visit the nearest police department in Jackson County. Also, you can complete the forms online, print them and take them with you to the police department OR the police department should have petition packets that you can complete in writing.

If it is not an emergency, you may also choose to complete the petition online, save it, and then submit it online at a time that is convenient for you.  If you choose this option, your petition will be processed during the next available business hours.

If you are in immediate danger, call 911!

To exit this site quickly, click this button.

Then press Ctrl+Shift+Delete on your keyboard to erase your browser history


Courthouse Locations

Western Jackson County
(Kansas City, Grandview)
Kansas City Courthouse
3rd Floor - Dept of Civil Records
415 E 12th Street
Kansas City, Missouri 64106
(816) 881-3974

Eastern Jackson County
(Blue Springs, Independence, Lee's Summit, Raytown, etc.)
Independence Courthouse
2nd Floor - Dept of Civil Records
308 W. Kansas Avenue
Independence, Missouri 64050
(816) 881-4555



  Adult Protection Order Forms Packet  
  Child Protection Order Forms Packet