Protection Order Unit

Effective October 15, 2019, 

The Department of Civil Records- Adult Abuse/Protection Order Unit will be relocated in the Albert Riederer Community Justice Complex at 1315 Locust, Kansas City, MO.


All Kansas City Hearings will be held at the Criminal Building.


Western Jackson County

(Kansas City, Grandview)

Kansas City Courthouse

3rd Floor - Department of Judicial Records

Mailing Address
415 E. 12th Street
Kansas City, Missouri 64106
(816) 881-3974


Eastern Jackson County

(Blue Springs, Independence, Lee's Summit, Raytown, etc.)

Independence Courthouse
2nd Floor - Department of Judicial Records
308 W. Kansas Avenue
Independence, Missouri 64050
(816) 881-4555



The clerks in these offices will explain and provide all forms necessary for the presentation of your petition to the court Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  Petitions filed in the office before 4:30 p.m. will be presented to the court for review the same day.  Petitions filed after 4:30 p.m. will be presented to the court for review the following business day.

For assistance with after hours petitions, please contact your local law enforcement office, hospital or one of the following shelters:

Shelter Referral                                                          (816) HOTLINE

Rose Brooks Center - Kansas City, MO                     (816) 861-6100

NEWHOUSE - Kansas City, MO                                 (816) 471-5800

Hope House - Independence, MO                              (816) 461-4673 (HOPE)

Synergy/Safe Haven- North Kansas City, MO            (816) 321-7050

*Most programs have free support groups for all women including those not in a shelter.  Please call the hotlines for information on these support groups.

If an attorney, party or witness to any of the proceedings will require an accommodation for a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the ADA Coordinator at 881-3652. 


Missouri's Adult Abuse Act provides protective relief for victims of domestic violence and stalking.  However, to receive an "Order of Protection" under this act, you must initiate a civil lawsuit by filing a petition with the court.  Please refer to the Adult Abuse Booklet.  PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY!