Can the Legal Department give me legal advice about my case?
No.  Please remember that the Legal Department must remain impartial.  The Legal Department does not take sides, and must be able to supply the same information to both parties involved in any litigation or potential litigation. 

However, State law does allow the Court to assist with small claims and with protective orders in matters of adult abuse and child protection.


If I can’t afford an attorney, will you represent me?
No.  Legal Aid of Western Missouri and the Missouri State Public Defender System provide representation to parties who cannot afford private attorneys.  These agencies base representation on income guidelines and other relevant factors.  You should direct representation questions to one of the agencies listed.