THE FAMILY COURT JUDGES
- Determines the placement of the young person in a Protective Custody Hearing, where recommendations are made by the Attorney for the Juvenile Officer, the Guardian ad Litem or CASA, and any other attorneys who represent family members, and the case worker from the Children's Division
- Hears evidence presented by the Attorney for the Juvenile Officer, the Guardian ad Litem or CASA, and any other attorneys who represent family members or
- Determines whether the evidence sustains the allegations of child abuse/neglect.
- Is so, the Judge/Commissioner makes orders relating to the the placement and the services made available for the young person and his/her family.
THE JUVENILE OFFICER
The Attorney for the Juvenile Officer
- Decides whether the young person should be placed immediately in Protective Custody for their safety and welfare
- Decides whether a petition will be filed
- Prepares the necessary paperwork including the petition and summons
- Interviews witnesses and victims and prepares for the court hearing
- Presents the state's case to the Judge.
CHILDREN'S DIVISION - Missouri Department of Social Services
- Investigates the allegations of abuse/neglect by interviewing the child and family
- Provides services ordered at the court hearing.