IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF JACKSON COUNTY, MISSOURI
415 EAST 12TH STREET
KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI 64106
Security Changes at Checkpoints of the Jackson County Courthouses
Effective February 1, 2010, the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office will implement new procedures designed to increase the security of individuals entering the Courthouses.
Courthouse Security Staff will no longer accept and hold any item which is prohibited to be possessed by a visitor to the Jackson County Courthouses. Prohibited items include but are not limited to the following:
- Any knife of any length
- Any sharp pointed scissors
- Any hand tool
- Any pepper spray or chemical mace related product
- Any wallet chain
- Any box cutter, razor, razor blade and /or razor knife
- Handcuff key
- Metal hair pick or rat tail type comb
- Ice pick
- Knitting needles
- Metal fork
- Stun gun or taser
- Any aerosol spray paint, hairspray, or other similar product which may be ignited
- Any item of sufficient density that it could possibly be used as a deadly weapon.
Additionally, those entering the courthouse, not exempt by law, found in possession of any contraband will be in violation of the law and subject to criminal prosecution. Contraband includes but is not limited to:
- Illegal Drugs or Narcotics
- Brass Knuckles
- Sword or sword cane
- Butterfly, switchblade or other knife with a blade length exceeding 4 inches.
All prohibited items will be seized and not returned.
The Sheriff Department’s goal is to prevent any threat to life or property or unwarranted disruptions during any governmental proceedings within the Jackson County Courthouse buildings. Your cooperation with the new policy is greatly appreciated.