In the 16th Judicial Circuit, the Department of Civil Process performs the same duties as a sheriff’s civil division in other Missouri counties. The authority to perform those duties is granted under the Jackson County Home Rule Charter which was approved by a majority of qualified electors on November 3, 1970 and became effective January 1, 1973. Those duties include:
- Serve circuit, associate circuit, probate and criminal summons, notices, protection orders and subpoenas
- Execute pre and post judgment orders and writs i.e. order of delivery (replevins) writ of attachment, restitution (eviction), levy by actual seizure of personal and real property and levy by garnishment
- Conduct the annual Court Administrator’s Delinquent Land Tax (DLT) sale in Kansas City and Independence *All Court files regarding those sales are maintained at this location.
** All service fees are paid online when you electronically file your case(s) prior to service. Please do not mail any payments to the Department of Civil Process for service. We only accept payment of service for non-Jackson County cases.
The Department of Civil Process is not connected to or involved with private process servers. It does not supervise nor bear any responsibility for private process servers.
* OUR EVICTION POLICY WILL BE CHANGING IN JUNE 2016. YOU MAY FIND INFORMATION REGARDING THIS CHANGE IN OUR "FAQ" SECTION UNDER EVICTIONS.
*ATTENTION - EMAIL ALERT FOR DELINQUENT LAND TAX*
The Civil Process Department has an email address for Delinquent Land Tax questions and we will respond within two business days from your request for information.
The email address is for Delinquent Land Tax (DLT) is: DLTEmail@courts.mo.gov.
* WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING REGISTRATION FORMS FOR THE UPCOMING DELINQUENT LAND TAX SALE TO BE HELD IN AUGUST 2016.
IMPORTANT BIDDING INFORMATION
In order to bid at the Delinquent Land Tax (DLT) sale, a registration form must be submitted not less than 10 days prior to the sale. There is no exception to the 10 day deadline for registration. Download and print the registration form and related notice. Submit the completed registration forms by mail or hand deliver to the Department of Civil Process located at 1305 Locust, 2nd Floor, Kansas City, Missouri 64106. *Hand delivery is accepted Monday through Friday from 8am-5pm.
Publication for the Delinquent Land Tax sale can be purchased at The Daily Record, 920 Main Street, Suite 825, Kansas City, Missouri 64105.
If you wish to express any concerns regarding Civil Process, please contact :
Jonni L. Wright
1305 Locust, 2nd Floor
Kansas City, Missouri 64106
Administrative Assistant II Assistant Director
Christal R. Tamargo Karen S. Rieckhoff
Phone: 816-881-3696 Phone: 816-881-3696
Fax: 816-881-3642 Email: email@example.com
Supervisor, Deputies Supervisor, Clerical Staff
and Process Servers Jennifer Hodge
Jack Foster Phone: 816-881-3935
Phone: 816-881-1372 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org